Item:Q5335

From EAGLE MediaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Inscriptiones Graecae , IV (2) 1129 B [edit]

Base for statue of Phosphorius, governor of Achaea. From Megara (Achaea). Late fourth century [edit]

No aliases defined. [add]

Statements

University of Oxford
[edit]
[add]
The Megarans set up a marble statue of the noble-minded Phosphorius for his righteousness, because, having fenced the cities with towers, for the inhabitants he rendered the cruel and violent one (= Ares, god of war) an enemy which they do not have to fear.
[edit]
[add]